Ram Gopal Varma Blog #165. My Reactions to Reactions

1. How did you feel when Sridevi married Boney?
Ans: I wept.

2. With Daud, Kaun and Raat I think you were ahead of time.
Ans: To me they look worse now than at the time they were made.

3. How was the shot in Agyaat taken when the camera rotates in the chasing scene?
Ans: It was a certain special attachment to the Jimmy Jib.

4. A story of bad taste like Rakta Charitra should not be equated with Mahabharata.
Ans: Ha Ha Ha Ha…

5. Hallucination if found in an individual level is called mental disorder and if found on mass level is called religion.
Ans: Superb.

“Two great narcotics… alcohol and religion” – Friedrich Nietzsche

6. What made you both a philosopher and a director?
Ans: Philosophy directed me and direction made me philosophize.

7. The subject of Rakta Charitra is more complex than Sarkar.
Ans: Forget Sarkar, it’s more complex than anything I ever heard, read, seen or can imagine.

8. You said there is no original contribution from Indians with regard to philosophy. Do you mean to say Bhagwad Gita is copied from Nietzsche and Ayn Rand?
Ans: Arrey Bhagwan, mere yaar. First of all try to understand that it’s individuals who philosophize and not countries. Whether Nietzsche is a German or a farmer from Orissa or panwala on my road it does not matter. It is the thought and the way he put it across was what appealed to me. In the billions of people in the world there could be millions who are better than Nietzsche and Ayn Rand irrespective of their countries, caste, creed and their sex. I am talking about the relevance to me as an individual, which primarily depends on my access to them. Bhagwad Gita put me to sleep, whereas Nietzsche, Ayn Rand and Mad magazine enlightened me.

9. What do you like in a woman most?
Ans: her toes, her heels, her ankles, her calves, her knees and all this in the lower part of her legs. The rest I will tell you some other time.

10. Godfather scenes were enacted originally in Mahabharata.
Ans: Neo, the comparison was fantastic. Incidentally that scene of Hyman Roth is one of my favourites in the series.

Regarding your point of it’s not only the western mind that is capable of understanding human characteristics and emotions better, my point is that we might feel it and maybe even understand it but we can never hope put it across the way they can. For example, not a single filmmaker could ever reach anywhere near that scene you mentioned.

11. What stops you from committing a crime? Is it fear?
Ans: No. It’s because at heart I am a very sensitive and deeply sentimental guy.

12. What is the difference between having sex and making love?
Ans: Having sex is a physical function whereas making love is relishing an emotion.

13. I don’t think you take right decisions. You just take decisions and make them right.
Ans: No one can make decisions right. We can just keep on making them till they turn out right.

14. What do you see when you wake up?
Ans: My bedroom ceiling.

15. Can you write about your experience as a site engineer?
Ans: It was pretty boring except for the times when women construction labourers used to bend down in the course of their work.

16. If like you said the characters of Fountainhead would have existed in reality for Ayn rand to get inspired and write, then why can’t Roark be portrayed in a film?
Ans: You see Jaani, Roark is a theory which Ayn Rand derived ffrom her brilliant  and highly insightful observations of Howard Roark like people in the real world. He is an art form that she drew out from her study to represent a thought process. But if that process is showed in a real time the art will go for a toss. It will be difficult for anyone to both imagine and accept him in any which way including things as simple as what clothes he will wear to how he will walk, sit or stand. We can connect both intellectually and emotionally to his design of the Stoddar Temple as long as Ayn Rand is describing it but if he actually shows it, we might hate it as much as Ellsworth Toohey hated it.

17. What is friendship according to you?
Ans: Probably someone you can rely on for a physical or an emotional support or spend your free time with. Since I don’t seek support in any which way I don’t have friends with regard to that and my free time I spend with my vodka and sex  so in that context my only 2 true friends are vodka and sex.

18. Do you use your blog for publicity?
Ans: I told atleast 127 times on this blog alone that whether I write or open my mouth to talk or make a movie everything I do is only for publicity and publicity is nothing but drawing attention to your own cause be it a movie or it be for self build up.

19. I don’t want to accept that Phoonk 2 can be better than any of your horror films.
Ans: Arrey who is asking you to accept. I told you that it’s my opinion.

20. Some shots of Phoonk 2 trailor look like the shots of Grudge.
Ans: They are not shots of Grudge but they are shots from Grudge. That was not a trailor but just a concept trailor to arrive at the look and feel of the film which was done much before the shoot actually started.

21. Is it true that you sang the lines “Baagundi kaani plaanu, palti kottindemo emi gaanu” in the song “wah re wah emi facu” in “Money”.
Ans: Yes.

22. When you don’t care about others why are you running this blog?
Ans: I don’t care about what others think of me but I care a hell about what others think and that’s because only various peoples views and perspectives is what which can give you a metaphysical insight into the working of human minds from which you can then pick and choose what suits your taste, sensibility and entertainment quotient.

23. Why was Aamir quoted as saying in the interview that you hugged him and cried?
Ans: Ha Ha… me hugging and crying! I never heard any thing more funnier. Anyway don’t believe everything you read or hear or if it suits you and makes you happy please believe that and be happy.

24. What do you think of Stanley Kubrick’s “Lolita”?
Ans: Not a patch on the Adrian Lyne’s version. I don’t like the plot of the movie but I love the sequences of how Adrian Lyne captured a middle aged man’s love for a 14-year old girl.

25. Are you at best a cheap imitator of Spielberg, Scorsese and Coppola?
Ans: 100% yes. Both literally and figuratively.

26. Do you think the reason for a westerner’s higher intelligence is genetic?
Ans: It’s due to both their genetic code and their ability to develop a system to nurture and grow it.

27. How important does light play in creating a mood for a scene?
Ans: I would say it’s a combination of light and the composition of a frame which does that. They both cannot work independent of each other. Will soon write a piece on this.

28. You should have gone to Diwanchi Bar instead of Lamba Talkies.
Ans: I did and saw quite a few striptease dances there.