Ram Gopal Varma Blog #73. My Reactions to Reactions.

1. What is it about women that attracts you so much to them?
Ans: I am attracted sexually to their feet, their toes, their ankles, their heels, their calves, their knees and all this in the lower part of their legs. The rest I will tell you some other time.

2. If say, films never existed, what else would you be?
Ans: A dreamer and looser.

3. Why not do a film on your philosophy?
Ans: Philosophy can only be in the mind.

4. How did the idea of the way Mallik kills Saeed and Anees in Company in the car come?
Ans: From my observation of how a doctor gives an injection to a patient. I wanted something very medical about Mallik lifting Saeeds left hand to place the gun near his heart.

5. Where is your Factory?
Ans: Wherever I am.

6. How was the scene of threatening the music director shot in Satya?
Ans: The psychological aspect: As the music director wakes up with the phone ring, through the window we see the road which looks like any other road. So as the voice is talking on the phone our attention is on the threatening voice and his expressions but we also subconsciously register that a car came onto the road and parked. As there is no background score change on the van’s entry we take it for granted that the van is just a part of the atmosphere as there is nothing unusual about a van being on the road.

Only when we see the spark near the van indicating gun fire and the window cracking with the bullet do we realize that the person who is talking is actually talking from the van. It was very necessary for that to be taken in a single shot as otherwise it couldn’t have communicated the vulnerability of the music director. Also by the time the gun fires one has seen the frame for a long enough time that they will take it for granted and hence will get a jolt when the gun fires. Also the angle of the camera creates an effect as if the viewer is inside the room almost in the line of fire.

Technical aspect: The shot was actually taken in a perfect co-ordinated timing with a gun firing a dummy bullet from the van and at the same time the action director Allan Amin hiding behind the window on a slightly lower level hitting the glass with a stone from a catapult.

7. If you don’t believe in marriage why did you get married?
Ans: Stupid, unless I did how else do you think I would have got so much gyan on the subject?

8. If I had enough money I would have given it to you to make Aag again.
Ans: So see fellas, and you thought I was the only madcap in the world.

9. I couldn’t read Nietzsche’s Zarathustra beyond 4 pages.
Ans: Well you need lot more than just a reading ability to understand Nietzsche.

10. It was very intelligent of you to shoot that Anupam Kher’s death scene by already placing a bullet mark on his head and diverting our attention to the guy in the back.
Ans: Ahem! Did I ever say that I am not intelligent?

11. Why always reactions? Heard of proactiveness?
Ans: Is that a disease?

12. What’s your view on piracy? Would you want to curb it?
Ans: I basically make a living on pirating whatever intellectual thoughts I can lay on of all people across all ages. So I don’t think I am morally qualified for such lofty work.

13. You are a good for nothing bum.
Ans: Am sure you achieved a lot in your life. Thanks for taking out your valuable time to visit bums.

14. What in your view is best between imaginative and real world?
Ans: There is no such thing as real world.

15. Why didn’t you get any Padma award till now (Padmasri or Padmabhushan)?
Ans: Am very happy with one Padma I got a few years back. Man! You should have seen her figure. You would have died with jealousy. Aaaaaah!

16. My girl friend says she loves your katha-kali eyes and loves your intelligence too.
Ans: And please tell her I love her for that.

17. It is your love for your work which will lead you to success – Albert Einstein.
Ans: Am not sure about the success bit but you sure will have a very happy life if you love your work.

18. Marriage is an understanding between two people. Mind is understanding oneself.
Ans: It is obvious that you are not married dude and the way your mind seems to be understanding itself you will surely get married one of these days and then you can come to dear old me and have a cry while I have my vodka.