Ram Gopal Varma Blog #180. My Reactions to Reactions

1. You are smart, real smart!

Ans: You think I am smart because you are not smart enough to know that I am not smart which is what is making you think that a not smart like me is actually smart thereby proving that you are not smart.


2. To me style is the outside of content and content the inside of style. Both go together and cannot be separated.- Jean Luc Godard

Ans: Superb.


3. In Rann you just sensationalized a problem without giving a solution.

Ans: A filmmaker’s job is at best to draw attention to a cause.


4. Do you think films have the potency to bring about social changes?

Ans: Nope as I have not seen a surge in joint families since the release of “Hum Aaapke Hain Kaun”.


5. The best shot in “RANN” was the steadicam one when Riteish enters Khanna’s house.

Ans: That’s not a steadicam shot. It is done with what is known as a body rig. It’s an attachment with which the camera can get strapped to the actor’s body. It was most notably used for the first time in Darren Aronofsky’s “Requiem for a Dream”.


6. Do men enjoy seeing others suffer?

Ans: They surely enjoy to see others fail because other’s failures can make them feel that their own failures are successful.


7. When you don’t care about what others think why should you care about being here?

Ans: I have an academic interest in the psychological deficiencies of species like you.


8. I think you are too obsessed with sound.

Ans: I am obsessed with whatever I feel obsessive about. It could range from Ayn Rand’s objectivism to a Jennifer Lopez’s butt.

9. Why don’t you wait for the Iron to be hot before you strike, instead of striking it to make it hot?

Ans: I like to make things happen rather than letting things happen to me.


10. The best lack conviction and the worse are full of passion.

Ans: Superb! The world is full of both those two breeds and that’s why mediocre people like me have a ball.


11. What is a fact?

Ans: Your own perception and interpretation.


12. In Rann you showed that “sons are put on earth to trouble fathers”.

Ans: Lots of fathers only achievement has been to trouble sons.


13. Who wrote the dialogue “Koi tho wajah hogi ki hum Mohan Pandey hai”.

Ans: Ahem! That came from dear old me talking about myself through Paresh Rawal.


14. You should change your style of making films.

Ans: Surely will do, Sir. Thank you for this fantabulously wonderful piece of advise.


15. You say nobody learns from anybody. What about students from a teacher?

Ans: I always hated my teachers because I wanted to learn and not be taught. Learning comes from within and teaching just programmes.


16. With Phoonk 2 and Rakta Charitra your plate looks most colourful and appetizing.

Ans: Well, That’s not to forget umpteen other dishes like Department, Raksha etc. My plate incidentally is always full. It’s just that the stomach ache is felt by others.


17. The day isn’t far when I will prove to the world that I can make movies better than you.

Ans: Waiting.


18. I loved your interview in ABN Andhra Jyoti.

Ans: I think the best line I ever said in any interview of mine is in that interview when he asked me to sum up my life’s philosophy in one line. I replied, “Naa chaavu nenu chastanu” (I will die my own death).


19. What if there are No Women in the world?

Ans: Ahhhhhhh! Don’t wish for bad things yaaaaaaaaaaaar!


20. Grow up; there are other dimensions to life than vodka and sex.

Ans: Ok Mr.Wisey, by the time I grow to your growth you will die since you are already old. You see Mr.Oldie very early in my childhood I decided to grow in reverse and leave the forward growing’s to wise little oldies like you so that you guys will die early and leave the earth as a free field for fun kids like me.


21. Only the person who makes the movie knows what goes into the decisions that result in that particular movie. – Akira Kurusova

Ans: That’s what I was screaming about ever since I started this blog.


22. How can an irresponsible person like you harp about the responsibility of the media?

Ans: The same way a dumbo like you can bark about the same on my blog.


23. Why are you this much frank and open minded?

Ans: When you truly realize that you can never really truly own anything you will not be desperate to guard it. So truth the way perceived by me is a property that I like to give out rather than hide. And for those who consider my truth as false they can give out their own truths thereby making life so very fucking bloody interesting.


24. What will you give up between sex and films?

Ans: They are the same for me as in any thing and everything which gives me pleasure is the same for me. But if I am compelled to make a choice it would be a film because one can last longer. :)


25. Why did every character in Rann have a girlfriend/wife except Rajpal Yadav?

Ans: Because he was the only smart one of the lot.


26. You are making the same mistakes again and again.

Ans: Why don’t you take this fantastic opportunity and zoom ahead of me instead of alerting me on my mistakes.




27. You should not have an ‘I don’t give a fuck’ attitude.

Ans: I never said I don’t give a fuck about anything. I give a lot of fucks to anything and everything that interests me. Life is not about giving or not giving fucks but it’s about love, desire, passion and all three to be felt with as much intensity as one is capable of.


28. Would JAWS have worked in India as we don’t know oceans and sharks?

Ans: It ran for more than 100 days in Vijayawada alone in 1975. The connectivity in films is always with the emotion and it never depends on the setting.


29. Can you write an article on the basics of story writing?

Ans: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha He He He He He Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ha Ha Ha Ha…

Well, that laughter was just intended for those who think I don’t a have story sense. I just wanted to make them happy for a moment.


Seriously, story writing in a film is primarily about story telling and no one can teach you story telling.


30. Whether the title is Department or Ab Tak Chappan or Company 2, they will only work if the film works.

Ans: Ohhhhh My chweeeeeeeet babbbbbyyy you are so cuuuuutey smart, so wish God blessed me with the same intelligence as he gave you. Sir, please remind me to give you a chocolate when we meet.


31. What scares you?

Ans: Many on this blog especially the above guy.