Ram Gopal Varma Blog #4. My Reactions to Reactions.

I have answered the questions randomly from the queries on my Blogs….

1. Can you give me your email id? I want to bring to your notice important socio-political issues.
Ans: Socio-political issues are not important to me.

2. Sometimes you don’t stick to your words.
Ans: Actually most times I don’t.

3. Was it your idea to change Shiva’s climax and end scenes? They didn’t work at all.
Ans: Yes and the obvious reason for that is I thought they will work better.

4. I find RAAT path breaking.
Ans: I find it boring.

5. If you don’t have light moments such as of Tanisha’s character in Sarkar Raj the film will make people drowsy.
Ans: I find light moments drowsy.

6. Did you watch Good Shepherd?
Ans: No.

7. I hope you will make Fountainhead one day.
Ans: It’s my dream.

8. What state of mind were you when you were making junkies like AAG?
Ans: Drugged with arrogance.

9. Please make commercially successful films.
Ans: Thanks for the advice. It didn’t occur to me.

10. Why are you so fascinated by dark themes? Even your blog has a dark background.
Ans: Well.

11. If you like Mario Puzo’s Godfather novel more than the film, why did you dedicate SARKAR to Coppola?
Ans: You are bang on right. That was downright stupid. Thanks for pointing it out.

12. You have to screen the new directors you work with.
Ans: If I knew how to screen good directors so that they can make good films, why would I myself be making bad films?

13. Your films like AAG, Nishabd scared me and I don’t want to watch your films anymore.
Ans: Thanks

14. Be more hardworking. Ideas can’t solve problems. Proper execution can. Give your best as its still in you. Push your boundaries and you will fly again…
Ans: I think you have talent for advising and also maybe poetry.

15. If you see your film before releasing you will definitely know what you have made.
Ans: A film Idea primarily comes out of a certain emotional state of mind. So by the time you go through the entire process, scripting, constructing scenes, editing etc it’s not possible to emote with the finished product the way you felt it the first time. At best you can listen carefully to people to who you show it for the first time before release. But if they chose to lie to you or are scared to tell you the truth, as so often it happens, you have had it. Will detail on this aspect when I start putting on this blog how I came about making each of my films including my magnum opus AAG. What I thought of them when I wanted to make them and what they turned out to be.

16. Einstein said that if someone tells that have not made a mistake then they have never tried anything new in life. You will face challenges when you tread new paths.
Ans: To start with I never consciously have this thought of tying something new or to take up as a challenge to tread different paths. At best I am like a child in a candy store excited to try anything and everything whatever catches my fancy at that time depending on my mood and state of mind. Whatever good or bad comes out of this is completely by accident and not out of intention.

17. Aishwarya’s character is inspired from Dagny Taggart in Atlas Shrugged.
Ans: NO.

18. A study on you would be incomplete without AAG.
Ans: Ahhhhh! You are telling me! The greatest education I have ever had in my life with regards to cinema, my life and my self is due to AAG and its aftermath. I must have had one million twenty seven lakh thirty thousand and twenty three advises, and criticisms not including the ones I deduced myself. Now you can see how much more richer I am. Want any charity?

19. You should have a provision in your blog for short films from budding filmmakers.
Ans: Yes.

20. You are retarded. You talk crap in News Channels. You might become the next Tim Sebastian.
Ans: I am, I do. I don’t know who he is.

21. You need to go back to Aamir Khan for one more blockbuster.
Ans: That’s a fantastically fabulous advice. I am amazed I didn’t think of it.

22. Your emotional scenes are half-baked and not well-executed.
Ans: Quite a few people feel the same as you. It could be because I have a subconscious dislike towards people who cannot control their emotions. For me emotional displays are more vulgar than wealth displays. I like to see only strength in my characters, so even when they are in a highly vulnerable situation I still want to see them strong. It’s probably this which results in the scenes not working for people like you. But then I only do what I want to do.

23. You have the nerve to test it whereas others play safe.
Ans: I am like a guy on the beach who suddenly sees this island in the distance and is gripped by a sudden intense desire to reach there. So I jump in even though I am not a swimmer, with this basic assumption that at best I will learn to swim and at worst I will drown. But I hate to stay put on the beach worrying about sharks and storms. I can’t really claim that I play safe because I don’t really care about the dangers. I know that sounds stupid, but that’s me.

24. You beauty is that you accept your flops.
Ans: Not accepting your film as a flop and standing by it is like telling a joke to someone and when he does not laugh to claim that he does not have a sense of humour.

The intention of telling the joke to him in the first place is to make him laugh like the intention of making and releasing a film is for the people to like it.

Standing by a film is also like you proposing to a girl and when she rejects you, you tell yourself that “I love myself, so what if she doesn’t.”