Ram Gopal Varma Blog #17. My Reactions to Reactions.

1. Did you apprenticeship under anyone?

Ans: No.

2. Is it possible for someone to direct without any prior experience?

Ans: The only thing you need to direct, is the clarity of your own vision and the ability to communicate it to your cast and crew. Experience has got nothing to do with it.

3. How was the shot in Kshanam Kshanam of the guy falling between 2 carriages taken?

Ans: That was a dummy. The close-up of Sridevi’s reaction after that is what created an illusion of seeing a real person fall.

4. Do you make calculated statements for attention?

Ans: Everything I do is only for attention.

5. Haven’t you ever cried?

Ans: Only weaklings cry! I psyched myself to feel like Superman.

6. How can people like Black Friday, Satya and Karan’s films at the same time?

Ans: It takes all kinds to make the world.

7. I think you are antisocial, have no decency, have no morals or respect just like other atheists.

Ans: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. Anything else?

8. If you copy scenes from other movies then how can you be the best?

Ans: I am the best copier.

9. Was the scene in Shiva of Nagarjuna reacting to Naresh in hospital bed thought of instantaneously?

Ans: I copied it from Mad Max.

10. Amitabh and Aamir take pains to acknowledge the reader while answering. Why don’t you?

Ans: Names and people don’t matter. Ideas and thoughts do.

11. You don’t see the need to please anybody?

Ans: The only one I want to please is myself.

12. I am extremely pleased that you read my comments and responded.

Ans: Here’s a piece of unsolicited advice. Don’t care about what others think of you. Your identity should never be dependent upon others acknowledgements and perceptions of you.

13. Please don’t water down your instincts by fearing Rajeev Masand’s egg.

Ans: I love eggs.

14. For all the bravado you project I think you get shaken with people’s criticism.

Ans: If thinking that makes you happy, please do.

15. The Phoonk posting of yours is just a clever ad for the film.

Ans: It is meant to be. You thought I was concerned about sharing my experiences with you just for the heck of it or what!

16. I noticed the shadow of jib camera in Sarkar Raj.

Ans: I did too.

17. The word agnostic would be better than atheist.

Ans: As long as you get my point does the right word matter?

18. In Sarkar why did you make Abhishek take such a long walk before he tells Sarkar that he killed his brother.

Ans: Only because of the long pause I think that dialogue has the effect.

19. Why don’t you write your scripts yourself?

Ans: I hate both writing and typing.

20. Why do you make films in a hurry? Instead of that why don’t you take more time and come up with stories that will be remembered for long?

Ans: I want to make a thousand films and I don’t care to be remembered.

21. I couldn’t help but notice all these things being an eccentric myself.

Ans: I felt very happy and was elated with your observations till you said this. Thanks for being a spoil-sport.

22. Did the name ‘Satya’ come from a girl you knew in school?

Ans: College.

23. Do you think seeing violence affects kids?

Ans: I think kids are more violent than adults. Did you notice with what relish they kill insects and throw stones at dogs?

24. ‘Satya’ to me seemed like a underworldish version of ‘Drohi’.

Ans: It is.

25. What is the reason for your portraying some characters without any dialogue and just playing upon their facial expressions?

Ans: I believe that then these characters power will come out of the imagination of the audience and hence more effective.

26. I hope Contract will relive Satya experience.

Ans: It won’t.

27. Why do you keep using the bird flying shot often? Example Satya, Sarkar Raj, Contract etc.

Ans: No reason. It’s just my childlike homage to a shot in one of my all time favourite films Mackenna’s Gold.

28. Can a promotional campaign prepare an audience what to expect?

Ans: Very important question. I will soon write a long piece on this.